St John of Beverley, Haydon Bridge Awarded a Grant of £5,000
St John of Beverley church was built in1872-3, together with the now adjoining presbytery. It is a small well-executed ashlar church in Early English Gothic style, under a pitched slate roof, standing in its own grounds on the north side of the village of Haydon Bridge.
The east wall of the church houses a memorial three light stained glass window depicting The Crucifixion; it is dated 1902 and signed the studio of Atkinson Bros of Newcastle. St John’s is central to the local Catholic community, serving Haydon Bridge together with the area of Warden – it also serves as the centre for Sunday worship for the Catholic community attached to its sister parish of St Wilfrid’s Haltwhistle. Ecumenical services are held here and all are welcome.
The church recently had a grant of £5,000 from NHCT for improvements/refurbishment of windows.