St Cuthbert’s Church, Peterlee
St Cuthbert’s is a relatively modern church, built in 1957. The Trust awarded a grant of £5000 to help pay for replacement of flat roofs, ceiling panels and damp plaster following water ingress.
It is the only Anglican church in Peterlee and is well used by the local community. It is one of the largest churches in the Durham Diocese.
The church is noted for an unusual feature, the baldacchino, or canopy over the altar. It was awarded a bronze medal by the Royal Institute of British architects in 1958.