Great Bavington United Reformed Church Awarded a Grant of £4,498
Great Bavington Church in located in mid Northumberland and was built around 1693. It is the second-oldest former Presbyterian church in England which is still in use for worship. The church is the only public meeting place in the civil parish of Bavington.
The church is right beside St Oswald’s Way long-distance footpath (from Heavenfield beside Hadrian’s Wall to Holy Island) and many walkers call in throughout the year to shelter from sun and rain, find spiritual and physical refreshment, fill up their water bottles and use the facilities – very important in this sparsely-populated area.
Renowned poet Kathleen Raine lived at the Manse as a child and people visit the church and village to find out about the place which inspired her poetry throughout her life.
The Trust awarded a grant of £4498 to improve ventilation in the roof space to prevent dampness, which was affecting the roof space and the ceiling of the church. The project included replacing insulation with sheep wool, some re-pointing, to prevent any rainwater ingress, and repainting once the repairs were complete.