At their recent meeting, the Trustees awarded Easington St Mary’s £2250 towards electrical repairs. It is believed that St Mary’s is among the finest ancient churches in the county of Durham, having a stately grandeur commensurate with its status as one of the principal churches of the medieval Diocese. St Mary’s is a prominent landmark situated on high ground to the west of the old village of Easington.
At their recent meeting, the Trustees awarded Haydon Bridge St John of Beverley £5000 towards glass repairs. St John of Beverley church was built in1872-3. It is a small well-executed ashlar church in Early English Gothic style, under a pitched slate roof and stands in its own grounds on the north side of the village of Haydon Bridge. The east wall of the church houses a memorial three light stained-glass window depicting The Crucifixion; it is dated 1902 and signed the studio of Atkinson Bros of Newcastle. St John’s is central to the local Catholic community.
At their recent meeting, the Trustees awarded Allendale St Cuthbert’s £4825 towards repairs to their entrance porch. Built in 1804, the church was restored in 1873 by Austin and Johnson. The clock tower houses an eight-bell peel which pre-covid was rung every Sunday. It remained silent during the pandemic except for a lone bell peeled on the death of the Duke of Edinburgh. With a centre nave and two side aisles, it has an elaborate alabaster and mosaic reredos.
At their recent meeting, the Trustees of NHCT awarded £5k to St Chads in Bensham, towards roof repairs. St Chads was consecrated in 1903 and built to a design by William Searle Hicks in a High-Victorian Gothic style with Arts and Crafts tendencies. It was built through the endowment of Emily Easton a local social philanthropist who wished to build a ‘cathedral of the working man’ for the Bensham community to equal the splendour of Durham Cathedral.
At their recent meeting, the Trustees of NHCT awarded £5k to Darlington Northgate towards internal beam repairs. The Church building is Grade 2 listed and was built in 1869 on a prominent position on the approach road to Darlington from the North. It has a main sanctuary for collective worship with room for about 200 people.
At their recent meeting, the Trustees of NHCT awarded £4498 to Great Bavington URC towards the ventilation of the roof. The church was built around 1693, and is the second-oldest former Presbyterian church in England which is still used for worship (after Tunley in Lancashire, 1672). The listing states that it was built in 1725, but that is the date on the porch which was a later addition.
At their recent meeting, the Trustees of NHCT awarded Hexham Abbey £5k towards roof repairs. The Abbey is an important link in the Northumbrian chain of Christianity. Its outstanding character and association with St Wilfrid with original crypt dating back to 674AD, place it as one of the ecclesiastical jewels in the Diocese’s crown. 120,000 visitors annually attend the Abbey yearly for services, heritage and quiet spaces.
At their recent meeting, the Trustees of NHCT awarded Whorlton St Johns £5k towards roof repairs. The church was built in 1866 in the Parish of Newburn, initially as a chapel of ease to serve a congregation of 200 before eventually becoming a parish in its own right. The building, although not listed, has a unique design reflecting its evolutionary history. Most of the expense of the building was borne by Messrs Spencers of Newburn Steelworks.