At their recent online meeting, NHCT awarded £5000 to St George’s in Jesmond to help towards repairing their tower. This imposing church was given by Charles Mitchell, a shipbuilder, and is famous for its stained glass, wall and floor mosaics and a multitude of other historic features.
At their recent online meeting, NHCT awarded £2000 to St John the Baptist in Alnmouth to help towards repairing damage caused by nesting birds. This striking listed church aims to be at the heart of Christian community life in the village.
At their recent online meeting, NHCT awarded £1500 to St Mary’s in Hexham to help towards external lighting. St Mary’s sits in the Heavenfield Parishes of West Northumberland and plays a key role in community life across the churches.
At their recent online meeting the trustees of NHCT awarded £1351 to St Jude’s in Knaresdale for the installation of lightning conductors. Nestled in a rural area in the North Pennines, evidence shows that the church has stood in the location since the 12th century.
At their recent online meeting, NHCT awarded £5000 to St Andrews in Heddon on the Wall to help towards repairs due to a leaking roof. The nave of this church, which sits in the centre of the village which is the gateway to the Hadrian’s Wall, is Saxon dating to mid C12. The East window is by Charles Kemp.
At their recent online meeting, NHCT awarded £5000 to St Cuthbert’s in Peterlee to help towards roof repairs. St Cuthbert’s is the only Anglican church in Peterlee. Built by Cordingly and McIntyre it has the unusual feature in the Baladachino, the canopy over the alter. The church was awarded a Bronze medal by RIBA in 1958.
At their recent online meeting NHCT awarded £5000 to St Pauls in Alnwick to help towards repairs due to the roof. This mid-19th Century church was designed by Andrew Salvin who was also responsible for significant work on both Alnwick and Warkworth castles. The church was completed in 1846.
At their recent online meeting NHCT awarded £3220 to St James in Benwell to help towards repairs caused by water ingress. St James was designed by John Dobson and is the oldest church outside of the city centre and contains examples of work by eminent craftsmen such as Ralph Hedley, William Wailes and Eric Gill.